Become A Member

2014 Meeting Minutes

2014 Meeting Minutes

Date(s): Saturday, February 01, 2014
Hours: 7:00 PM
Event: 2014 Meeting Minutes

 

PHEASANTS FOREVER MEETING MINUTES

HEADWATERS CHAPTER #563

LOCATION: Montana WILD, 2668 Broadwater Avenue

DATE: February 17, 2014, 7:00 pm

 

The following were in attendance at the meeting:

NAME

Mark Studt

Doug Williams

Wayne Schottler

Bill Evans

Marcy Schottler

Shelly Murphy

Pat Howe

Luke Murphy

Jeff Sturm

Matt Murphy

Randy Piearson

 

The meeting’s purpose was to elect new Chapter officers and discuss the direction the Chapter is pursuing. Highlights of the general discussion items include the following:

1. Chapter Officers:

a. A motion was made and seconded to elect Randy as Chapter President, Shelly as Vice President, Marcy as Treasurer, Mark as Secretary. A vote was taken andpassed unanimously.

 b. Informally, Doug and Jeff committed to the communication committee.

 c. Informally, Wayne and Jeff committed to the habitat committee.

 d. Bill indicated that he would assist with the youth coordination.

 2. Discussion Topics:

 a. Develop a website for meeting minutes. PF National has some appeal,

while there may be more flexibility within the existing State Pheasants

Forever website.

b. An email distribution database will be updated. This could be

accomplished with an email to subscribe/decline.

 c. Randy will send the PF Chapter Manual electronically to the new

officers. The manual contains the Officer’s position descriptions.

d. Randy would like to hold monthly meetings to involve the entire chapter, encourage public outreach, promote our projects and entice new members. This would display a transparency of the chapter organization. Each meeting would have a designated agenda and would be informational with solicitation for new topics.

e. Quarterly meetings would be intended as social gatherings. Events could include fun shoot, BBQ etc.

f. A new FWP Canyon Ferry Wildlife Management Area coordinator should be hired soon. Our PF chapter would like to involve Dan Bailey and meet with that new person in the coming months.

g. Electronic documents will be available in the cloud for chapter access. Mark will investigate and add folders to include banquet, habitat, minutes, communications, mailing lists and youth events.

h. Banquet dates for 2015 were discussed. The first Friday or Saturday of February was preferred. Randy set the date for Friday February 6th, 2015 after confirming with the Gateway center.

i. PF Cash Management system (CMS) was discussed. Our local bank (partnership) account currently has approximately $4,500. PF national suggests about $500 in this account. Any transfers should be done prior to July 1, 2014. National PF does the IRS reporting.

j. The upcoming Sports Show was discussed and approved for PF to have booth participation. Details for coordination, raffle, display board information and volunteers were not discussed.

k. Discuss having a dedicated banquet chairperson to lead that task.  This is not Carrie’s position.

l. Would Helena be willing to host the state PF meeting?

3. New Agenda items

a. Jeff suggested a qualified presenter to discuss the Farm Bill. This could be a Department of Agriculture biologist or Dan Bailey.

b. Jeff indicated that Dan McGowan had ideas for auction improvements.

Action items:

1. Randy will send the Chapter Manual electronically to the new officers.

2. Mark to investigate cloud access to the chapter for documents.

The meeting adjourned at approximately 8:45 pm. Future meetings will be held at the MACo downstairs conference room, 2715 Skyway Drive, beginning at 7:00 PM. Generally, the third Tuesday of every month will be scheduled for monthly PF meetings except for April and September.  Meeting dates:

March 18

April 22

May 20

June 17

July 15

August 19

September 30

October 21

November 18

 

1) Marcy Schottler presented the Treasurers report on the Chapters finances:

 The Headwaters Chapter has an account in Mountain West Bank to run day-to-day operations. Money in this account is transferred to our Headwaters account with National Pheasants Forever. She explained debits and deposits which occurred between 11/1/13-3/18/14. The result is a total balance of $43,353.62 available in the Chapters accounts. Copies of the report were handed out to the Chapter members and approved.

 2) News: A new biologist was hired as manager at Canyon Ferry. He came from White Sulfur Springs and may be a big game person. Leadership from the Headwaters Chapter, the Gallatin Chapter along with Dan Bailey are trying to set up a meeting. Purpose of this meeting is to encourage him to work with Pheasants Forever for upland game management. Fred the technician at Canyon Ferry WMA has asked us to help clean up existing Shelter Belts. A question about insurance was raised. PF National covers any injuries sustained during work projects.

 3) Pheasants Forever Chapters in Missoula, Bozeman & Billings have offered 2 free banquet tickets to the officers in the Headwaters Chapter. Howells and Schottlers have agreed to go to the Missoula banquet. Randy Piearson will go to the Bozeman banquet on March 28th. Randy will also check with Shelley Murphy if she is interested in the Billings banquet which occurs ~April 2nd.

4)A contract was signed with the Gateway Center to rent the hall for next years banquet. Date is scheduled for Friday night February 6th, 2015. A deposit of $500 was made.

5) Discussion began about the Chapters Youth Hunt and trying to get whole families involved with our chapter. Bozeman Chapter is very successful with their youth hunt and could provide some examples. Suggestions were made about partnering with Ducks Unlimited or contacting the education director at FWP. Additional discussions occurred about setting up a booth at the Hunters Education final exam on April 19th. This would be a great spot to encourage youth and their families as participants in our habitat work in addition to youth hunt participants. Another suggestion was made that a flyer be created advertising our need for help on habitat projects. Greg Wirth suggested that whatever we do with the youth hunt, from his experience, it should be kept simple and make sure the kids get to shoot. Consensus was that the hunter education classes would be the best place to find youth hunt participants.

6) Discussions turned to the Banquet Raffle. The plan is to get the raffle setup early, so we can sell tickets at events throughout the year. Wayne Schottleragreed to contact Capital Sports about a shotgun and a shopping spree. It was agreed, that three items are to be on the raffle and one should be attractive to youth. When the three items are arranged, Marcy will get the tickets printed.

7) Randy brought up the idea of a Chapter social event in June. Tentatively looking at a sporting clay shoot at the Z-bar-Z on Thursday June 19th. Pat Howell emphasized theneed to get families involved in our Chapter and that this would be an ideal setting.

Meeting adjourned at 8:42PM

 

Minutes of Scheduled Meetings in 2014

Pheasants Forever Monthly Meeting

March 18, 2014  7:00 PM  MAco Building

 

Mark Studt wasn’t at the meeting so Doug Williams agreed to take notes.

--Greg Wirth read minutes from last meeting and they were approved.

--Dan Mock showed up as a new member!

1) Marcy Schottler presented the Treasurers report on the Chapters finances:

The Headwaters Chapter has an account in Mountain West Bank to run day-to-day operations.  Money in this account is transferred to our Headwaters account with National Pheasants Forever.  She explained debits and deposits which occurred between 11/1/13-3/18/14.  The result is a total balance of $43,353.62 available in the Chapters accounts.  Copies of the report were handed out to the Chapter members and approved.

2) News: A new biologist was hired as manager at Canyon Ferry.  He came from White Sulfur Springs and may be a big game person.  Leadership from the Headwaters Chapter, the Gallatin Chapter along with Dan Bailey are trying to set up a meeting.  Purpose of this meeting is to encourage him to work with Pheasants Forever for upland game management.

   Fred the technician at Canyon Ferry WMA has asked us to help clean up existing Shelter Belts.  A question about insurance was raised.  PF National covers any injuries sustained during work projects.

3) Pheasants Forever Chapters in Missoula, Bozeman & Billings have offered 2 free banquet tickets to the officers in the Headwaters Chapter.  Howells and Schottlers have agreed to go to the Missoula banquet.  Randy Piearson will go to the Bozeman banquet on March 28th.  Randy will also check with Shelley Murphy if she is interested in the Billings banquet which occurs ~April 2nd.

4)A contract was signed with the Gateway Center to rent the hall for next years banquet.  Date is scheduled for Friday night February 6th, 2015.  A deposit of $500 was made.

5) Discussion began about the Chapters Youth Hunt and trying to get whole families involved with our chapter.  Bozeman Chapter is very successful with their youth hunt and could provide some examples.  Suggestions were made about partnering with Ducks Unlimited or contacting the education director at FWP.  Additional discussions occurred about setting up a booth at the Hunters Education final exam on April 19th.  This would be a great spot to encourage youth and their families as participants in our habitat work in addition to youth hunt participants.  Another suggestion was made that a flyer be created advertising our need for help on habitat projects.  Greg Wirth suggested that whatever we  do with the youth hunt, from his experience, it should be kept simple and make sure the kids get to shoot.  Consensus was that the hunter education classes would be the best place to find youth hunt participants. 

6) Discussions turned to the Banquet Raffle.  The plan is to get the raffle setup early, so we can sell tickets at events throughout the year.  Wayne Schottler agreed to contact Capital Sports about a shotgun and a shopping spree.  It was agreed, that three items are to be on the raffle and one should be attractive to youth.  When the three items are arranged, Marcy will get the tickets printed.

7) Randy brought up the idea of a Chapter social event in June.  Tentatively looking at a sporting clay shoot at the Z-bar-Z on Thursday June 19th.  Pat Howell emphasized the need to get families involved in our Chapter and that this would be an ideal setting. 

Meeting adjourned at 8:42PM

 

Pheasants Forever Monthly Meeting

April 22, 2014  7:00 PM  MAco Building
Chapter Presidents Notes to Chapter


1.  I have expanded our email list to include all email addresses I have for area members dating back three years.  I had to spend quite a bit of time today cleaning it up after getting a number of undeliverable s.  I also updated the excel sheet to reflect bad addresses.  I will send it to you after a few more mailings.  Two new attendees were at the meeting.  They were very eager to participate. 

2.  I contacted the president of the Gallatin Valley Chapter and he is passing the request for volunteer workers on May 3rd onto his membership.

3. The Board recommendation for two year term limits was approved.  I will draft some simple bylaws on this and a proper quorum.

4.  The Board recommendation for Chapter communication to be distributed by The President and Secretary was approved.  The role of the communications committee (Jeff & Pat) was also approved.

5.  The mileage reimbursement was approved at what ever the IRS rate is at the time.

6.  The new website acquisition from 3-plains was approved.  I examined the webpage this afternoon and will contact the company tomorrow.  It is $250 for the set-up fee and $360 in annual fees.  It appears the chapter email function is an additional $2 per month or $24 per year.  They are implementing a new web design for PF beginning March 1.

7.  The implementation of a new Headwaters Facebook page was approved.  The Murphys' and Mark are going to set-up the Facebook page.

8.  The formation of a subcommittee to design the structure and ticket prices for the 2015 banquet was approved.  Jon Lee offered to provide me with any assistance we required.  I am going to call him and ask if he can meet with the subcommittee to work out the primary structure and ticket prices.  I believe we can know this out in one evening and report back to the Chapter.  This must be done soon.  The Board will be involved and a number of other attendees at the meeting also agreed to be part of the subcommittee.  I will let you know when Jon can participate after I have had a chance to talk to him - hopefully on Thursday.

9.  I emailed Pat and asked him to put me as the contact person on any youth hunt documents.  I also asked if he would help with some initial materials to provide to the 3-Plains company.  Most likely, we will have to get the Board together to look at the initial product before we roll it out.  I appears to be user friendly for an administrator to make fast updates and changes.  I will tap into you folks when I get to that point.

10.  Food and refreshments were approved for the work day at Canyon Ferry.  Matt said Shelley will get the food and drinks.  I will be at a dog competition that weekend.

11.  We will talk more about the shooting clays event at the next meeting.  I suggested that we purchase the shooting charge for all youths that attend as well as their shotgun shells.

12.  A PF appreciation plaque and a $50 gift certificate to a nice restaurant was approved for Carrie.  Marcie - can you get these items.  Thanks.

 

Pheasants Forever Meeting Minutes

Headwaters Chapter #563

Location: MACo Building, 2715 Skyway Drive 

Date: May 20, 2014, 7:00 pm

 

The following were in attendance at the meeting:

 

Mark Studt

Doug Williams

Wayne Schottler

Bill Evans

Marcy Schottler

Shelly Murphy

Pat Howe

Luke Murphy

Leslie Howe

Matt Murphy

Randy Piearson

Nick Givack

Dan Bailey

Jason Sexton

 

The meeting’s purpose was to be informational with solicitation for new topics and discuss the direction the Chapter is pursuing. Highlights of the general discussion items include the following:

  1. Reading of Minutes from 4/22/2014:
    1. A motion was made and seconded for two year term limits starting on April 1, 2016.  A vote was taken and passed unanimously. 
    2. Current IRS reimbursement rates were adopted for preauthorized PF related travel.
    3. The Facebook page will be investigated by Shelley and Mark.
    4. Marcie was going to order the appreciation plaque.
    5. A vote was taken and the minutes were approved.
  2. Treasurer’s Report :
    1. Summary of money transfers to the PF National account and current balance in the Mountain West Bank account.  Recent deposits and debits were explained with a current balance of 34,891.94 in the Chapter accounts.
    2. A discussion about the plaque options was presented to attendees.  Marcy was going to order the appreciate plaque.
  3. New Chapter Website Progress:
  1. Randy explained the existing  “test” website as part of  phase 1
  2. Phase 2 will incorporate a new website format that will allow easier updating.
  3. Jeff and Pat were voted and approved to be added on the Communication committee.
  4. Jeff and Pat will need administrator access to provide website updates and articles.
  5. 2015 Banquet Subcommittee
    1. The subcommittee includes officers and generally current attendees at this meeting.  Jon Lee offered his assistance with banquet planning.  Randy will arrange a meeting time in June with Jon Lee and Mark Roberts. 
    2. Dan will check with Jon for availability.
    3. Sporting Clay Social Event
      1. A BBQ social event and fun shoot at the Z-Z sporting clay range was discussed for either June or July.  Shelly will call Z-Z for availability in July.  Dan indicated that the youth memberships could be paid by PF.
      2. Introduce Dan Bailey – State PF Representative
        1. Dan described an upcoming meeting with the UGBEP administrators on June 9th
        2. He explained the current Habitat Specialists in Denton and Billings.  These are state positions, salaried by PF. 
        3. Dan would like to take a proposal to those administrators on June 9th to pay for new Habitat Specialist positions for the enhancement on public land. 

                                                              i.      He is requesting the state chapters contribute 25k per chapter (5k per year)

                                                            ii.      If ten chapters commit to this request for a total of 250k, UGBEP could match that amount for 750k.

                                                          iii.      One million dollars could pay for several Habitat Specialists for the state for a few years.

  1. Dan also explained the strategic plan for more conservations easements and increased chapter involvement.
  1. Unfinished Business (tabled for net time)
    1. Big Gun raffle
    2. Youth pamphlet

Action items:

  1. Randy will send the Chapter Manual and bylaws electronically to the new officers
  2. Randy was going to request administrative website access for Jeff, Pat and Mark
  3. Randy requested that all members share pictures for the website
  4. Dan was going to check availability for a Jon Lee meeting in June
  1. Shelley and Mark will investigate the Facebook page
  2. Marcy was going to order the appreciation plaque
  3. Shelly to call Z-Z for availability in July

The meeting adjourned at approximately 9:00 pm. 

 Future meetings will be held at the MACo downstairs conference room, 2715 Skyway Drive, beginning at 7:00 PM.  Generally, the third Tuesday of every month will be scheduled for monthly PF meetings except for September.

 Meeting dates:

June 17

July 15

August 19

September 30

October 21

November 18

 

Banquet Meetings

The Banquet Committee began meeting in October to prepare for the February 2015 fund-raising banquet.  No formal minutes of these meeting, wome of which occurred weekly have been recorded.  However, as of December 14, 2014, the following key banquet decisions have been approved by the committee.

 

Pheasants Forever 2015 Post Banquet Meeting

February 18, 2015  7:00 PM  Perkins Resturant
Chapter Presidents Notes to Chapter

 There were five people in attendance at the meeting.  Greg Wirth and Jeff Strum contacted Randy and notified him that they would be unable to attend the meeting.  Marcia and Wayne Schottler are on vaction.  Those in attendance were:

 Randy Piearson

Doug Williams

Bill Evans

Mark Studt

Jason Sexton

 There was no old business.  Other than the weekly banquet meetings that started in December, the last official Chapter meeting was last spring.

 Item 1 on Agenda – Treasurer’s Report:

 Marcia has been working on the banquet figures while on vacation in Arizona.  She reports that she is having difficulty breaking out precise figures to the appropriate accounts in the National accounting system.  She reports that much of the problem lies in our use of the Square to bill banquet attendees.  Apparently, the credit card amount doesn’t detail the specific expenditures adequately enough.  She has even contacted some attendees to determine what they purchased.  These difficulties have slowed down the accounting process. She will explain the problems at a future meeting when she is back in town.  She believes we grossed approximately $40,000 and sold 249 dinner plates.  However, our net return may only be in the 10 to 12 thousand dollar range.  These are only crude estimates.  Precise figures will be completed in the next few weeks.

 Item 2 on Agenda – Next year’s Banquet location and Site:

 Randy reported that he had contacted the Gateway Center, the banquet site for our last two banquets.  The manager told Randy that she would give the Chapter the same discounted rate for the room rental and audio/video in 2016 that the Center gave us in 2015.  The rent was $975.  A February 5, 2016 date was requested.  The weekend prior to and just after this date has already been filled.  Dates at the Center fill up rapidly and well in advance.  The February date was open and the manager said she would hold it tentatively for one week for the Chapter.

 Bill Evans made a motion to approve the use of the Gateway Center on February 5, 2016 for our next banquet.  Doug Williams seconded the motion.  The approval was unanimous.  (A side note: Randy contacted the Gateway Center the next day and requested that the rental contract be mailed to him to sign.)

 Item 3 on Agenda – Rocky Mountain Sports Show:

 The Rocky Mountain Sports Show will be held February 27 through March 1.  In 2015, the Chapter rented a booth and promoted the Chapter and our mission.  We purchased a shotgun from Sportsman Warehouse and raffled the gun.  The raffle paid our expenses for the Sports Show.

The group briefly discussed this event.  Many members are or will be out of town that weekend.  Also, the event is just a short time from now.  We do not have a Sports show contract nor has any effort been made to acquire a raffle item.

 Randy asked for a motion for Chapter involvement in securing a booth at the Sports Show.  There was no motion offered and the proposal died.

 Item 4 on the Agenda Stamps and Thank-you cards to Banquet Sponsors:

 Randy passed out stamped envelopes and thank-you cards to everyone in attendance.  Chapter members will send thank-you cards to sponsors that they dealt with.  Other banquet members can contact Randy for thank-you cards.

 Item 5 – Possible Habitat Projects:

 Randy reported that possible habitat projects on the Bird Creek Ranch are on hold at this time

The mother of the property owner is in Hospice and the family’s attention is on her health issues.  They will contact Randy if the situation changes soon.  They are very interested in working with the Gallatin and Headwaters Chapters in the future. Members from the Gallatin and Headwaters Chapters met with the property owners in January at their ranch to get to know each other.

 Jeff Strum called Randy to give the following report.  He has contacted managers at the Canyon Ferry and Freezeout WMA.  The managers’ report that there is no current habitat improvement projects scheduled for this year that need our assistance.

 There is a new F & G conservation easement, Pheasant Run” next to the F & G fishing access at Ulm.  Randy is familiar with this location.  The 298 acre easement may include the agricultural fields in grain and hay production next to riparian zones along the Missouri River.  There may be potential for habitat improvement projects in the future.

 There is a proposed conservation easement called Ash Coulee near Saco, Montana.  This easement is 48,000 acres.  There will be hearings in front of the F & G Commission later this winter.  Chapter members may want to testify at the hearing.

 There is a proposed conservation easement called Wallis near Lavina, Montana.  This easement is for 1,197 acres and is located on the Musselshell River.  There will be hearings in front of the F & G Commission later this winter.  Chapter members may want to testify at the hearing.

 Randy informed the group that he has discussed potential projects along the Missouri east of Cascade with Dan Bailey.  Dan has agreed to contact Cory Loecker, the Region 4 F & G biologist.  Cory may have some ideas for potential habitat projects.  Randy also suggested that the Riverdale Ranch, which has several miles of Missouri River frontage near Cascade should be explored as a possible project.  A conservation easement for this ranch was partially funded using the PF Habitat Fund.

 Item 6 – Frequency, Location and Starting Times for Future Chapter Meetings:

 The group decided not to have regular meetings just for the sake of having meetings.  It was decided that meetings would be scheduled when there are important issues for the Chapter to hear, discuss and vote on.  The group liked the idea of bringing in speakers to discuss legislation, habitat and F & G developments. The group also expressed their desire to continue having the meetings at Perkins Restaurant.

 The next meeting will be scheduled when Marcia returns and a full banquet accounting analysis is completed.

 Item 7 – Truax Drill.

Dan Bailey has requested donations from all the Chapters in Montana to purchase a Truax Drill.  Tom Pick of the Gallatin Chapter informed Dan that Chapters should only contribute to this purchase if the following occurred:

 1. Their needs to be a responsible party who operates the drill and is familiar with how to calibrate and use the drill as well as maintenance. Letting someone who is not familiar with the drill operate it is a good way to have it damaged or for seedlings to fail. 

2. The unit should be trailer mounted for easy and less destructive transport, especially if we foresee moving it around much between regions of Montana.

3. Use agreements should state who is responsible for repairs and damages in use.

4. An assigned caretaker should be responsible for checking that regular and post-use maintenance is performed when the drill is returned. Ideally, we have an indoor storage site or at least covered from the elements.

5.A good crimped-edge coulter to cut through trash, disk openers with depth bands, multiple seed boxes with adjustable/replaceable seed plates or gears, good durable/flexible seed tubes, and self cleaning packer wheels are important. I like an end-wheel drill that is easier to move around. Needs good hydraulics for transport and operation. The disk gangs should be staggered so they are not all in the same plane to allow trash and stubble to flow through the coulters and disks without hanging up. The drill needs to be heavy duty which also provides needed weight. Without the weight, many so-called NT drills won't go through much reside at all. I'd think a 10- to 12-foot width drill would be a good compromise on weight and size for portability.

6. Good identification on the drill with the PF brand.

Chapter members have indicated that they are not interested in donating to this purchase.  There were many reasons given for this opinion.  Randy had asked Dan to attend the meeting and make a case for our donation to this equipment.  Dan is out of the country at this time and thus, not able to attend the meeting.  The group decided to take no action on this request at this time.

The meeting was adjourned at 8:30 PM.

 

Host Location

MACO Building
2715 Skyway Dr., Helena, MT. (Map Location)

Host: Headwaters 563
Host Email: info@headwaterspf563.org
Host Website: headwaterspf563.org